RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Anyone else working with apraxia?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities View previous topic
View next topic

Anyone else working with apraxia?
momtimesfour

Post Anyone else working with apraxia? Reply with quote
Our 4 1/2 yo son has (finally) been diagnosed with apraxia of speech. He's been in our district early education center for just over a year now - we had him evaluated because at 2 1/2 I could tell that his speech was not progressing as it should. By his 3rd birthday, his 1 yo sister had better articulation! At first his IEP had him pegged with generic "speech delays" in the severe range. After a year at the preschool, the SLP ditched the former IEP goals and specifically named apraxia as the problem. Theoretically she will be teaching me some specific therapies to do with him over the summer (he doesn't qualify for the summer program for some reason... I think $$$ is key here) and there is a slim chance that I might be able to go to a conference in Chicago during the summer as well. He has one year left at the preschool and then he'll be too old and have to move into the regular school system.

Our goal is to homeschool him, along with the other 3 kids, and get speech services through the district. I'll be spending the summer learning what is legally required for the district to provide. It would be very encouraging to hear from other parents dealing with apraxia on a homeschooling level!
Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 am View user's profile Send private message
ksewell

Post Reply with quote
I have not dealt w/ apraxia, but wanted to encourage you to (if you haven't already) join HSLDA - BEFORE you have contact w/ the school system. The public schools get extra federal funding for children w/ special needs and, sadly, in many areas will put undue pressure on those families to have their child in the system (this comes directly from HSLDA's website). It is good that you are exploring the legal issues and I would encourage you to use HSLDA (if you aren't already). They are a great resource! (and I believe until April 30th they are giving free membership through July to new members).
God bless,
Karin
Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
momtimesfour

Post Reply with quote
Thank you, Karin, for the reminder about HSLDA. My husband and I had been tossing around the idea of rejoining them. Until now we've really had no need - AZ is a fairly easy state to home educate in. It's too late to avoid the system - our son has been in the preschool for the past year. However, he won't be ready to move to kindergarten until next fall, so now is definitely the time to get back to HSLDA. Our intention is definitely to home educate.
Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
ksewell

Post Reply with quote
Best of everything to you...I would definitely get back w/ HSLDA before you speak w/ the school system any more. Home schooling is definitely the best option for a child w/ special needs. You may also want to search for some groups (yahoo and such) for support...there is a wealth of information through them as well. Yahoo has several groups that are broad (special needs) and more specific (ie: the particular need); many of them are Christian as well.
God bless,
Karin
Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
One of Mary's diagnoses was apraxia. We chose to get speech from an outside source. Actually, our local university has speech service for a fee. We paid $350 for four months of speech, two hours per week. The nearly graduated students did WONDERS! Also, they helped with my daughter's reading comprehension and storytelling. It was worth every penny, as we would have paid more in the co-pays over that time. So, you might want to check it out. Plus, the students are so patient and sweet. Mary did have speech through the school district, but only "got" one half hour per week, and that is if the teacher showed up. Mary was also taken out of class, and I did not like that at all.

That is an option that worked well for us.
Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
momtimesfour

Post Reply with quote
drmommy, it never occurred to me to check with the universities in town. I will definitely do that.

Right now he gets therapy everyday, some in class, some out of class. Since the early education preschool is specifically geared toward the kids with needs, right now that works fine. But I agree with you - once he's ready for the more serious academics, the time lost in class will not help him one bit, but he'll need that one-on-one therapy.
Fri May 01, 2009 11:54 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: