RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Record keeping - how long?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Record keeping - how long?
jandjr5

Post Record keeping - how long? Reply with quote
First, just for full disclosure, I admit to being a pack rat. I hesitate to throw anything, especially anything school-related, away. That being said, our family will be making an international move next August, and I am looking at the stack of boxes of 11 years worth of precious school records for five children, files of completed assignments, workbooks, art and history projects, etc., and I am wondering how we will ever keep within our weight limit for shipping.

If others would not mind sharing, I wonder:

What records do other parents keep? And how long do you keep them?

And even more importantly, once a child is in college, what is it advisable to keep and for how long?

Thank you in advance,
Judy
Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
I basically keep what Kolbe has us send it ie one sample per quarter but a little more detail....

I keep the quarter test AND a daily sample (workbook page, comprehension questions, math assignment) for each subject every quarter. I also keep the attendance record, grade book pages, course of study, and report cards. For high school I also keep one essay per subject for each quarter. This I can cram into one banker's box for all twelve years.

It may not be necessary to keep after the child is in college, but I think it will be a neat momento for when they are older.

Do you have close by relatives who would be willing to hang on to the boxes for you?

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
We keep records at Kolbe for 5 years after the student graduates (this gets 99% through college). You could think about keeping things for students until they have graduated college and then toss whatever they don't want. And honestly, my own mother gave me 4 boxes of school stuff she saved me after college graduation and said... your job to keep or throw away. You could go that route too.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:52 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
momtimesfour

Post Reply with quote
Just seeing this and had an idea. You could scan important sample work, artwork, and special papers and keep several sets of discs. This would lighten the load you must move tremendously!

-Lucy
Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: