RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Suggestions on covering Human Reproduction

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School View previous topic
View next topic

Suggestions on covering Human Reproduction
slhallford

Post Suggestions on covering Human Reproduction Reply with quote
I noted that Megan had replied to a previous thread that human reproduction wasn't covered until the high school science curriculum. I've been mulling it over and I think we're going to want to cover this topic sooner than that. Does anyone have a suggestions for appropriate (and preferably Catholic) sources for this? I hadn't really delved into wondering when it would be covered and until noticing that thread, I had assumed it would sometime in 6th or 7th grade curriculum.

Thanks,

S
Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Very good question. We've steered away from it b/c we haven't found any great resources for it at that age. From what I can tell, most of the other Catholic curriculum providers do not cover it in middle school (a few do it even later than 9th grade too). Seton has a health book for 6th grade that covers all the systems except reproduction. If you think your student is ready for it, then you might be okay with a secular provider. I can even let you know what types of things the Holt books show/explain since I have a copy of the complete set.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:24 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JenniferFitz

Post Reply with quote
You might look at the materials offered by Family Honor. www.familyhonor.org

They are a solidly catholic organization that was founded specifically to provide morally-sound sex ed. Information is very detailed, so you may wish to preview and make a decision on how to present based on the maturity of your student. Some students have been exposed to so much misinformation at an early age that they need to get accurate details on the biology relatively early; others may want to wait until later.

Good luck!

Jennifer.

[FYI: Approved by Bishop Baker. No-nonsense, authentically catholic perspective.]
Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 am View user's profile Send private message
slhallford

Post Reply with quote
Megan--Is any of it covered in the Harcourt books? We're doing 6th grade next year and that's what we've used up to this point.

Jennifer--Thank you for your suggestion. I will check it out.

My goal is to provide them with factual and morally sound information. My little one is far too little (2nd grade) but my son is getting to the age where I fear misinformation may indeed be around the corner.

Thanks,

S
Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Megan--Is any of it covered in the Harcourt books? We're doing 6th grade next year and that's what we've used up to this point.

The Harcourt 6 book does not cover any of the body systems... they have a "health" unit that is a supplement for classrooms that want to cover that (it includes reproduction). We don't carry that but you could purchase it directly from Harcourt.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jandjr5

Post Reply with quote
May I suggest "The Joyful Mysteries of Life" by Catherine and Bernard Scherrer (on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Joyful-Mysteries-Life-Catherine-Scherrer/dp/0898706300, and I'm sure available at Catholic bookstores) to accompany whatever scientific information you give to your pre-teens on this topic? It has been helpful for us to include the faith perspective along with the simple, factual information in this area.
Also, the "All Things Girl" and "All Things Guy" series are very good, more general virtues information to accompany this topic.
And pray to St. Monica for guidance. Smile
Blessings,
Judy
Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: