RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Algebra I requirement for Special Needs Students

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities View previous topic
View next topic

Algebra I requirement for Special Needs Students
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Algebra I requirement for Special Needs Students Reply with quote
Students who need to develop an IEP to graduate with Kolbe generally find the most difficult requirement for the standard diploma to be the Algebra I requirement. However, there are ways that a student can still fulfill the Algebra I requirement to receive the standard diploma instead of a "Learning Disabled" diploma. The rule in the state of California is as follows:

Quote:
In order to earn a high school diploma, students in special education are required to pass a course or combination of courses based on all Algebra I content standards. The Algebra I content standards are the same for all students; however, some students in special education may require accommodations or modifications to instruction. The individualized education program (IEP) team determines the type of instruction appropriate for each student.

The key in here is that students are "...required to pass a course or combination of courses based on all Algebra I content standards."

A program that has been used by other students is called "Strength in Numbers Algebra" by Steck Vaughn. Steck Vaugn happens to be a division of Harcourt.

Overall, Steck Vaughn has become recognized as a great source for materials for students with special needs.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:26 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: