RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Private school

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Private school
CleoQc

Post Private school Reply with quote
So my daughter got accepted in the enriched program at a local Catholic school - the one I graduated from. It's a great school, small, still run by the nuns. I'm torn. Because of how the school system is locally, high school is considered starting in 7th grade, and finishes in 11th grade. My daughter is entering 7th grade next year. She would be starting high school with them. It's now or never, as the school will fill up and the nuns won't let someone start in any other grade. We have till November 4th to hand in our decision.
Our daughter does not want to go. She wants to stay homeschooled. I know she would have a hard time in school with math and sciences. The school will track her towards the art - where she excels. But we're a science family, she does enjoy science, but it's a challenge for her. I meet her where she is. At home she will be able to graduate with plenty of sciences under her belt and get into marine biology - her dream job. (it's been her wish for years!) But that school is in the top 10 in the whole province! It's a very good school!

Argh. I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I just need a hug. Right now, it looks like we're keeping the whole family home (our son is doing grade 9 with Kolbe) and Kolbe is a big part of why we're considering staying home.

Please pray for us, that we may do the Lord's will.

Cleo
Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
introibo

Post Reply with quote
I guess the big questions are 1. Will she be getting the fullness of the faith taught at this school? 2. Do you feel comfortable teaching her upper level math and science? 3. Will her being in the Catholic school give her any better chance of getting into the college of her choice than having her schooled at home?

Also, is this Catholic school more of a "traditional/orthodox" (from a Catholic viewpoint) background or a "regular" run of the mill Catholic type school. No offense, and I'm not trying to be divisive here. But in general the kids coming from traditional backgrounds might tend to be a little better in their values, i.e. you can be pretty sure their parents are raising them with your values. If the school is attended by your usual Catholic family types, chances are their values at home aren't much better than the average in our society..and those values might rub off on your daughter.

I've found here in our area of the States...Catholic high schools are somewhat better academically than public schools, but no way would I justify paying around $10,000 that I'd rather put toward college.

Christina
Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:53 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: