RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Parent Discussion: Digital vs. Paper discussion

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Parent Discussion: Digital vs. Paper discussion
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Parent Discussion: Digital vs. Paper discussion Reply with quote
To all my parents-
I'd really like to start a discussion on the benefits and drawbacks to carrying digital vs paper materials. This idea was sparked by this recent post:

http://www.kolbeforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=3402

As homeschooling parents who tend to lean classical, what are your thoughts on going to digital texts, workbooks, tests? Are there certain subjects you think it is good for, while others not? Is there a certain age that you would absolutely not do anything digital?

All thoughts are appreciated.... of course, I am sort of preaching to the digital choir by putting this on the forum, but its the best venue to communicate with you all!

Thanks,
Megan

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
I am a paper person myself. My oldest who has finished three years of college and is a gamer (sigh), opts for hard copies instead of e-copies. I would rather flip through a book than scan a bunch of computer pages to find the material I want.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:10 am View user's profile Send private message
momofhobbits

Post paper lives! ok, trees are a renewable resource Reply with quote
Very Happy I vote real paper. Of course, this is coming from someone who got teary today when she realized her twelve year old son was reading her very own high school (from 1980)copy of Tale of Two Cities. On a more practical note, I write all over the CPs. I could not do that if they were digital Sad . Then again, Kolbe could send them electronically and we could print them as we needed them. Not using the Math CPs for Week 3 because you are on vacation-don't waste time printing them out!
Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Catholicmommy

Post Reply with quote
I like digital for lots of things.. mostly because it's a bit cheaper and we are on a strict budget with seven kids in ourhomeschool. I also like to type out the course plans into my own planner format for the kids, because I like to be able to see the whole week (including all the subjects at once) on one page. If the CPs were digital it would be easy to cut and paste. Right now, I have to type everything out and I find it very tedious.. but the way the CPs are formatted don't work as well as I would like for the kids to be able to use.

I've read many books on my iPad and have really enjoyed them. Once you get used to the format it's quite a nice way to read... and so portable. For textbooks, it can be tough if you aren't used to it as you can't flip back and forth as easy as you are used to.. but once you get familiar with the way ebooks work, and use the Table of Contents and Index to quickly flip from section to section, it becomes very easy to use.

I agree there is something special about paper books though... I just read a book that I loved so much I wanted to hug it and put it on the shelf so I could look at it and remember how much I loved it Very Happy but because it was digital, I couldn't. Also, with the restrictions due to the DRM formats it's very frustrating that you can't just have all your books in one app, or one file. That bugs me a lot.

hope that helps Smile
Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Thanks- Would love to hear some more opinions. I'm not sure exactly how to say this so please don't take any offense (non intended at all!) I'm especially interested in hearing from some moms whose oldest child is less than 5th grade. We are wondering whether we are seeing a new type of homeschooling family emerge with our younger families... which would steer us in a different direction (digitally speaking) as we have been driven in the past.

Also - just an FYI that we can deliver CPs digitally via PDF. Most of the content could then be copied and pasted so you dont' have to type! Just email the advisors for info on that. I'm pretty sure we do that for free as long as you sign something saying you won't distribute.

God bless,
Megan

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:57 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Catholicmommy

Post Reply with quote
Thanks Megan! I'll def. look into that for next year, as it would make my life much easier!!

I was wondering about what you said as well (about the differences between ages preferring digital or paper). My oldest child is in 7th grade, so we are bit over your group you are interested in. I think that people's comfort with the various mediums seems to be relative to how much experience they have with learning in that environment themselves, so i do think things are moving in that general direction. I know that when Tapestry of Grace switched to a digital format, there was a lot of people very happy with the flexibility of it.

I'm also attracted to the new My Catholic Faith Delivered (faith and life courses online supplemented with lots of interesting media like the Footprints of God videos etc..) and other websites like Khan academy...but I don't want to make it so that they are in front of a computer screen all day instead of interacting with me as the teacher. There has to be a balance.
Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:29 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Catholicmommy wrote:

but I don't want to make it so that they are in front of a computer screen all day instead of interacting with me as the teacher. There has to be a balance.

Right- and that's what I'm most concerned about in going to digital - how do we strike that balance?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
joyann1

Post Reply with quote
All we have is the desktop, and a Kindle. No iPad or laptop. While I was able to download some books for free onto the Kindle, I still wanted to purchase a copy to have in hand. *I* prefer to have a book in hand to read. I am sure my kids feel differently, or would if we had other electronics that made this possible. Obviously we aren't a high tech family, and I don't see that changing too much in the near future.

I think it depends on if it is an option, or if it is the only format offered. I can't really afford an iPad right now, and with so many children, we would need more than one. Also, with so many little hands getting into things, I worry that they will get ahold of these electronics, drop them and break them, thus causing me to purchase another high ticket item.
Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:09 am View user's profile Send private message
redpanda23

Post Paper vs Digital Reply with quote
My students do very well with the paper texts--it would be difficult to run the homeschool with too much of the electronics going on! And the cost for the hardware/software would have to be factored in. My oldest is in 11th grade, youngest is in elementary school.

Hope this helps! Lisa
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:21 am View user's profile Send private message
astroid704

Post Reply with quote
Hello,

I have a 3rd grader who prefers a "real" book rather than a digital book. She likes holding the book and flipping through the pages. She also prefers to do book work( she's the worksheet queen Very Happy ), working on the computer is boring for her.

I also have a 6th grader and a 9th grader who all prefer a "real" book. They all have Ipod's and refuse to do any school work on them. They don't like audiobooks either. My boys are Tactile/Kinesthetic learners that may be why.

Can't say I blame them I do not like digital ebooks myself, but I have learned to "like" my kindle a little bit Laughing
Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Everett Buyarski

Post Reply with quote
To clarify, we have no plans to go to a purely digital format. We're really just looking for feedback on what our parents might be looking for as far as these things go. All of this feedback has been very helpful, and we'd love to continue to hear from more of you about this.
Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:19 am View user's profile Send private message
CleoQc

Post Reply with quote
We have older kids (15 and 12 yo).
I have two big reasons to prefer digital.
1) Lower shipping costs, as we're in Canada. I hate the fact that I'm throwing money on shipping, when I could have everything delivered electronically.
2) My 15 yo is not nice with his books, so my 12yo always gets banged up books when it's her turn. With electronic copies, they are nice and tidy all the time. Also, they're much easier to find, as the 15 yo never pays attention to what he does with the books.

We have more than one laptop per person in this household. We also have two desktops, one iPad, one Kindle. Many cell phones that can display PDFs (that's great for course plans!)
Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
KatyLamb

Post Reply with quote
I've one boy in ninth grade. We use a little netbook in every way possible for school-we always have. He has a calendar on it with his schedule and links to pages where I type his lesson plans- broken down by day. I wouldn't like to homeschool without digital at all. However, he is expected to write a paragraph or two by hand in his journal every day, and he reads the actual books. He doesn't like to read much on the computer.
I like a mix of both.
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 am View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
Love paper. I can use different highlighter colors, different pen colors, stickers, etc. Love the feel, the smell, and just writing on it. Digital will always be around, especially in college. Paper may not always be around, who knows?
Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
mamacrow

Post Reply with quote
Paper...I need to be able to flip back and forth. When I scroll, I feel sea-sick.
Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:46 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: