RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
We're stuck at week 7

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

We're stuck at week 7
CleoQc

Post We're stuck at week 7 Reply with quote
My son is a slow worker. Not true, he's terribly fast, but wastes too much time. He can take a day to write up a small essay, only to discover he's off topic, and has to rewrite. Or he'll spend an entire afternoon on math, and then loses his work before turning it in for me to review, so he has to do it again.
Anyway, we're stuck on week 7, just short of finishing the first quarter, for three weeks in a row.
I'm discouraged. I need a hug, a coffee, and wine...
He's in grade 10.

Sigh...

Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends. We're on a regular week here.
Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
I can't offer any advice. Sorry on about that.

I will give you a hug. I am in week 5 of 2nd Qtr and finally getting quarter reports done. I usually have them done by end of 2nd week of following quarter.

Wine? I whine about not having wine. Stomach issues...

Coffee? I will join you for a cup of tea.

Have you tried "black out" with your son? No TV, Ipod, Stereo, dessert, phone, seeing friends etc. Basically he gets to eat and breathe until second quarter is done.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:56 am View user's profile Send private message
Marita Vargas

Post Reply with quote
Take the following with a grain of salt:
1) Always preview the material with the student. Preview the questions, headings, vocabulary, paper topic, key points, background essays--all that apply. The key is that he knows, you know, what he's responsible for;
2) Have the student write down single word answers for most of the SG questions. I know, it's apostasy, but try it for a while. Choose a few questions (the ones that relate directly to the test) and have the student write down those answers in full.
3) Set an incremental goal schedule. Pages __--__ before lunch. Correct SG w/student at lunch. Eat and enjoy. Establish incremental afternoon schedule. If the student doesn't follow through, he is always to be in the room with mom. He can't solo until he is meeting incremental schedules.
4) In establishing incremental schedules, it is OK to lighten the load. Students are not required to do everything. Tailor the schedule to the student.
5) Come up with an earned privilege. For consistently meeting the goals, the student earns one hour at art or karate or paintball or whatever. If he has an activity that he can get lost in, maybe it's aviation research or baseball stats or astronomy, let him do it every day as a reward. Don't start the day w/the activity. Use it as an end of day reward and later, perhaps, a middle of the day reward. Adults have days when they run home at lunch and sew or listen to Italian opera or gab w/ a friend over spinach salads. Those activities are a real boost to the afternoon routine. When he's ready for it, you can teach him to handle necessary boosts.
6) Have son report what he's learned to dad every night or every so often. These are real reports. What did you do? What did you learn?

Best wishes,

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:16 am View user's profile Send private message
introibo

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marita Vargas"]Take the following with a grain of salt:
2) Have the student write down single word answers for most of the SG questions. I know, it's apostasy, but try it for a while. Choose a few questions (the ones that relate directly to the test) and have the student write down those answers in full.

Thanks for this! Some of my kids will write out way too much, but my current kid in 11th grade barely answers the questions...I get so mad at her...so now I know she is kind of doing the minimum required..... Laughing

CleoQc...my daughter isn't necessarily slow, but she definitely works at her own pace..which can be frustrating. Sometimes she'll go ahead in one subject, even finishing the quarter's work by the 5th week...but then when I go to correct her stuff on a weekly basis, I'll find that she hasn't done any of the English Comp book for the entire quarter...and then she is rushing to finish at the end.
Christina
Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:51 am View user's profile Send private message
mamacrow

Post Reply with quote
Cleo I feel your pain. I have cyber hugs, coffee, and chocolate for you...and prayers, of course.
Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:52 am View user's profile Send private message
CleoQc

Post Reply with quote
Quarter 1 report finally sent in.

Although I'm pleased to report that Quarter 2 is done for at least 3 subjects, so we're not doing too badly.

Marita Vargas: thank you for your suggestions. I am changing our expectations. I've been reading "Four Hallmarks of Jesuit Pedagogy: Prelection, Reflection, Active Learning, Repetition", and it's helping me set better goals.
I now see the importance of prelection, which is reviewing the subject matter with the student *before* the student does the work. It does seem to bear fruits in here, even if *I* hate it. But that's my problem, not the student's. He fares better with it.
Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: