RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Feeling insecure Haha

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Feeling insecure Haha
KatyLamb

Post Feeling insecure Haha Reply with quote
My student is in ninth grade and I only have the one. I've homeschooled him since kindergarten on my own until grade 7, when we used Seton, and now here at Kolbe. Here is my issue: Every day I sit down at the table with my student and go over each lesson with him. I elaborate on concepts, illustrate things on the chalkboard, question him on his reading, and so on. Although he works his Algebra problems and reads his assignments on his own, memorizes Latin and all that, in everything else I am very much involved. For example, I go over the Algebra lesson with him and then have him do the practice set. If any are wrong we go over it again until he understands it. Then he does his problem set but I sometimes check them after 5 or 6 problems to see if he's on the right track. Is this over-protective? He studies Latin vocabulary flash cards at night, but for Latin class I test him on them. Then I have him translate half the Latin assignments out loud to me and type the rest. If any are wrong I make him do them over until they are right. Too oppressive? Is this normal even?

Am I doing him harm? Should I try to draw back and leave him more on his own? I see other parents have said they give the child a certain amount of work to do each day and then later check it. I do not know if that would work with us. I want him to be independent, of course, but still. My husband says to quit worrying because in public school the students have the teacher right there in the room. However, in my opinion, homeschool should be different from public school. I would love some advice from other parents. I feel ashamed when I see people with 4, 5, or 6 kids who seem to manage so well, and whose students seem so mature and independent, while I have just the one and should have no problems- but I do. He seems normal and happy enough- doesn't mind school, even likes a lot of it, but he's never known anything else as far as learning. I'm really worrying about this. Any thoughts?
Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
kmg365

Post Re: Feeling insecure Haha Reply with quote
The way you describe you and your son sounds like my mom and me at that stage! I'm a girl, but still Wink

Personally, I loved it. We had used Seton for middle school and it was a tricky transition to Kolbe (but oh so worth it!) - I wasn't familiar with Greek mythology at all, wasn't familiar with handing a challenging workload, things like that. Both with the scope and the amount of Kolbe material, I found it much easier to navigate with my mom right in it with me; it could get overwhelming otherwise.

We did ninth and tenth grade working very very closely together. For example, with the study guides, I would often answer them orally (not in full sentences) to her and she'd help clarify before I wrote the answers down (in full sentences). In eleventh grade, I began to work more independently (for example, writing down my study guide answers and then later going back and checking them with her). I then did most of twelfth grade independently.

I'm now a sophomore at a private university, where I have an academic-based full-ride scholarship, and am a National Merit Scholar. I've had a great transition to college, both academically and socially, and I have a great relationship with my mom.

Personally, I think you're rocking it Very Happy

PM me if I can be of more help!

~Hope
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
KatyLamb

Post Reply with quote
Oh, thank you! That makes me feel better. Can you tell me, when you transitioned into doing more on your own- was that your idea or your mom's, or did it just evolve?
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
KatyLamb

Post Reply with quote
I forgot to say: Congratulations on how well you're doing! You rock! Very Happy
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
kmg365

Post Reply with quote
It just sort of evolved--I'm not sure that we ever really talked specifically about it (I don't think I would have been too thrilled about it if had been something on a to-do list, you know?). I started getting more interested in the things I was studying and felt more responsibility toward school; things were making sense and I was seeing connections between things. With the uncertainty at the time of where I was going to college, I appreciated and gravitated toward things that made sense. Plus, we were doing some remodeling on our house and my mom had a lot of things to take care of for that, so it became more important for me to get my work done on my own if I wanted to stay on track.

Aww, thank you! I'm very grateful for my education and for Kolbe Smile
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
KatyLamb

Post Reply with quote
Well Hope, you are well named. I feel much better. Very Happy I guess we'll just carry on!
Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
introibo

Post Reply with quote
You are fortunate that you can devote the time to him..I often think I should do more with my kids, both the younger ones, and the high schoolers.
As he goes on in high school, he should be given a bit more leeway to explore and try things on his own..thinking ahead to college where he won't have someone helping with every thing. Still, as time goes on, you'll be able to sense where he should be left alone and where he might need guidance.

Christina
Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
KatyLamb

Post Reply with quote
Yes, I do realize it is fortunate that I have only the one to focus on, although I would have liked more but that wasn't the will of God. I do see- my husband is in charge of Art, Rhetoric, and Logic. He sits down with him on Sunday afternoon, corrects the past week's work, watches the Logic lesson with him and gives him new assignments, and we listen to him recite and critique his performance. My student does his work in these subjects all on his own during the week (unless he has a question) at night and does a good job. So I feel like I have an example to move toward over the next four years. Still, the lessons my husband teaches are easy compared to science, algebra, writing etc. Latin- I'm learning it along with him as I love it and also find it easier to help him that way. And I feel we need to discuss the Literature and History, so can't just leave the student on his own all week. I think I'm just too intense because there's only the one. It's kind of frustrating.
Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: