RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Math woes

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School View previous topic
View next topic

Math woes
justmeandmybrood

Post Math woes Reply with quote
I have a rising 5th grader who is completing the last 9 chapters in Math-U-See Epsilon, then will continue to Zeta, which I anticipate will take us to the end of the next school year. We have had many challenges in math, because despite his strength with more critical thinking skills, recall of math facts is very poor (he is twice-exceptional and one of his areas of challenge is recall). We struggled through Singapore and Teaching Textbooks for 3rd and half of 4th, and now have some peace and no more tears and frustration with MUS.

However, I would like to switch him to possibly Foerster's Algebra when the time comes, and I would love to hear recommendations of how you would bridge MUS Zeta to Foerster's. Would it be best to continue on to MUS Pre-Algebra and beef it up with a supplement? (We currently supplement a couple of days a week with Life of Fred and Math Detective.)

I would appreciate any recommendations - thank you!
Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Overall, there isn't a huge problem with bridging to a new program at the Algebra I level. The one thing about MUS is that it tends to be behind a bit on Scope and Sequence, but if you are doing a little supplementing, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Hope that helps!

Tue May 28, 2013 11:49 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
justmeandmybrood

Post Reply with quote
Thanks, Megan! I am looking into the Key to Fractions or possibly Math Mammoth; if you have any you have seen help students to become better prepared for that bridge to Alegbra I, I am all ears! Thanks!
Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:21 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: