RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Review of "Hunger Games"?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Review of "Hunger Games"?
sharonh

Post Review of "Hunger Games"? Reply with quote
Friends of my son< age 16, have recommended "Hunger Games." From what I know of the book and movie, it does not seem to be something I would like him to read. Do any parents have thoughts on the matter? Thanks

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:11 am View user's profile Send private message
mamacrow

Post Reply with quote
My DH read the book and found it thought provoking, but he is over 16 Very Happy. I'll ask him about it.
Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:58 am View user's profile Send private message
stannemom

Post Hunger Games Trilogy Reply with quote
I read the series. It reminded me of Lord of the Flies and I read that in high school too many years ago to talk about! If a child is reasonably exposed to things nowadays the Hunger Games is not that much more. At least there is no obscene language or sexual situations.

That's just my opinion... I am sure someone out there will feel differently! Embarassed
Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
mamacrow

Post Great Hunger Games resource! Reply with quote
Greetings! Focus on the Family has a great resource page on the Hunger Games books. Go here:

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/protecting_your_family/book-reviews/h/hunger-games.aspx

My husband loves the series. It's especially good for boys and reluctant readers - a real page-turner!

Misti
Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
momofhobbits

Post Same old Problem... Reply with quote
I read the first book, but not the entire series. My argument is the same as always. If your children have never read the LOTR series or Regina Doman or, by High School, many of the GREAT fictional works of CS Lewis and others, why "waste" your time on this series. I have been told that they redeem themselves by the end of the series, but I also believe it is a mercenary ploy of a sick author to set out to write a series of three books that must be read in their entirety to be morally correct.

The first book at least is completely bankrupt of any "higher standard" or "moral absolute". The girl does give her life for her sister, but it is more from a selfish (Reach with me this may not make sense on first read.) motivation, she simply does not want HER sister to suffer. There is no discussion of standing up right then and there to die rather than have the games go on even one more time. It is certainly not the stuff of Braveheart or Joan of Arc. She never really devotes herself to the "boy" but more she relies on him as needed. For his part he has always loved her, but would kill for her (not a villain but innocents) this again is not in keeping with what we see as Chivalry.

Yes, the argument can be made that compared with Harry Potter/Twilight we are moving in the write (pun intended) direction, and that at least kids that otherwise would not read at all are getting something that makes them think, but for our kids it should be read with thorough discussion of its flaws.

I am no theologian, just my HO.
God Bless Us Every ONE,
KELLY
Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:07 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Celeste Cuellar

Post Catholic review of Hunger Games Reply with quote
Here's a good review of the series Hunger Games from a Catholic reviewer

http://catholiclane.com/book-review-and-parents%E2%80%99-guide-the-hunger-games-trilogy/

Blessings,
Celeste
Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:00 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: