RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
1st Grade Science, Harcourt vs. Living in God's World

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School View previous topic
View next topic

1st Grade Science, Harcourt vs. Living in God's World
kpizzurro

Post 1st Grade Science, Harcourt vs. Living in God's World Reply with quote
Hi,
I was wondering how parents felt about the 1st Grade Harcourt Science program vs. the Science and Living in God's World program? We used the Science and Living in God's World program for Kindergarten and while ok, it wasn't as engaging as I was hoping. I think my dd was tired of coloring by the end! Is the 1st grade curriculum the same? I have read as many threads as I could find about the Harcourt program but only see that its a little slow because its split over 2 years. Is the program engaging? Has anyone used both? Any advice? I could desperately use a good comparison of the curricula. Thank you in advance!
Sincerely,
Krysten
Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:48 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Hi Krysten,

SLGW is very similar in first grade. Harcourt is in color... up to date, and a really solid textbook that covers a breadth of topics. Yes, it's slow b/c we split over 2 years, but you could do it one, if you want. We really want students to concentrate on reading, writing and math those first few years, so it ends up being a nice course but not over the top for that age. The reason we still carry SLGW through 2nd grade is b/c it is gentle and slow for those that need to spend extra time on reading and writing. You could even buy the SLGW workbook and use with Harcourt when appropriate if you want to spend more time working on a formal science curriculum.

I hope this helps!

God bless,
Megan Lengyel

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: