RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Does anyone have advice on helping a student learn to write?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities View previous topic
View next topic

Does anyone have advice on helping a student learn to write?
IsMiseSteise

Post Does anyone have advice on helping a student learn to write? Reply with quote
My 7th grade son has Asperger's Syndrome and Sensory issues. Writing and/or typing is difficult for him. Handwriting is difficult for him no matter WHAT kind of aid he uses to help him hold the pen/pencil.

In addition, he has trouble putting sentences together. He can do the grammar work in the text, but stringing his own sentences together is a nightmare for him. It doesn't help that he's more inclined in math and science.

I'm having a very difficult time getting him to comprehend how to put his ideas together and put sentences together to write a simple paragraph, much less the intensive book reports and essays that are part of his work.

If anyone has any advice, I'm open to it.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:52 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
One of our own curriculum developers homeschools her son who has Aspergers. She had the following questions and thoughts for you. She will email you directly for more input:

Quote:
1. Is he seeing an occupational therapist for his sensory and fine motor issues?
2. Has the family used brushing and deep pressure techniques to help his with his sensitivity in his hands?
3. How are his speech skills? Is he seeing a speech therapist?
4. Because of his special needs, Stacie should not be afraid to modify his assignments. For example, any larger writing assignments--even just a paragraph--should be centered on his special interests. If he can speak, using recording devices--tape recorder, computer recording, etc.--for his schoolwork should be perfectly acceptable. From there, she can either leave the "as is," have him type small amounts of the work as practice--one or two words at a time--, or she can type the information for him, so he can make improvements from it.
5. At his age, any writing should be done on the computer. Alpha Writer is a program that may be useful as the program anticipates and provides a list of word choices as the student types: http://www.alphasmart.com/index.html
6. Here is a good resource the family can tap into:
The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder, Revised Edition (Paperback)

7. Has she written an IEP for him that illustrates obtainable goals per quarter, so they can both document and witness the progress he makes?
8. Has a physical therapist evaluated him for gross motor issues? Often, the fine motor issues happen because there are deficits in gross motor skills.
9. By way of improving handwriting from a gross motor stand point, the family may consider having the student paint a large letter using his entire arm, a large brush, and an easel with large paper as a daily theraputic exercise.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
IsMiseSteise

Post Reply with quote
Thank you VERY much!

I've been modifying things to fit him to the best of my abilities. We also just started homeschooling after my son was in public school from kindergarten to 6th grade. It's been a BIG adjustment for him. Being special needs makes it a harder adjustment too.

Thank you again!

God bless!

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:08 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: