RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Would love to hear about high school experiences

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Would love to hear about high school experiences
justmeandmybrood

Post Would love to hear about high school experiences Reply with quote
Hi, all! We are about to begin our fourth year of homeschooling with our 6th and 4th graders. While my original intent was to homeschool up until high school, I feel like perhaps God is leading me in a different direction Shocked I have some questions for anyone who may be able to share experiences...

1) How independent are your high schoolers with their work (especially for those who need the extra push)?
2) Had you ever leaned towards high school in a conventional brick-and-mortar school, and if so, are you pleased with your choice to homeschool?
3) Do you have a college-bound high schooler with learning disabilities and needs for accommodations? What has the experience been like?
4) in what grade did your student become more autonomous and independent?

I am fearful that I will fail my children, that I will not lead them to a more independent course of study, and that I am not well-enough equipped to lead them through high school. Eeks! I am so anxious and unsure of my ability to do what is best for my kiddos...thanks for any input for this nervous mama Smile

Thanks!
Tina
Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
momofhobbits

Post For what it is worth Reply with quote
Hi my name is Kelly and I have five children homeschooled since birth. The oldest two began with Kolbe in 5th and 4th grade respectively and the other three have done Kolbe since day one. My eldest two were both girls and very much mom's helpers. Since they hit high school write when I was teaching the boys to read and behave and dealing with the baby they were almost completely autonomous. They both took Magna and were accepted to the desirable Catholic schools. One attended Christendom the other is doing College online. That said I now had last year an 8th grade boy and a 6th grade boy and I pretty much almost gave up that they could ever learn from me as they matured. THEN, voila...my eldest son started Kolbe online, had a little competition and decided to be mature and I have hope for the future. He only took one class, Intro to Physical Science, but he went from getting a C because he didn't listen to the directions to finishing the year by getting an A on his Final and an A+ for the semester. What I am trying to say, is that if you can swing the online classes and you enjoy being with your children, you will not have to be both parent and teacher for HS and they definitely can get by on their own if you are there to love and encourage their efforts.

As to special needs children, I do not have any experience in that field.

God Bless Your Endeavors,
~Kelly
Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:59 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
We are having a wonderful high school experience using Kolbe Academy.

My high schoolers are very independent, but yes, I am there to push them and make sure all their assignments are turned in on time and are complete. I help to guide their schedule and provide emotional and intellectual support.

No, we have had our girls in the brick and mortar school, so we are not going back. It has been 7 years since we started homeschooling. I am VERY pleased with our choice to homeschool It has brought us closer together in the Faith and our family.

I do not have a college-bound high schooler with LDs, but I do have an elementary student that does. Kolbe's classical curriculum have helped her in so many ways. Have you read the book "Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child"? It is by Cheryl Swope and can be ordered through Memoria Press. An EXCELLENT book on classical homeschooling a special needs student.

My two older, non-special needs students became independent around the 7th grade. I believe one first has to instill a love of learning and strong discipline for them to be independent. I work outside the home, so the girls have had to become independent!

You ARE equipped to lead them through high school! You have the graces through the Sacrament of Matrimony! Tap into them! You can do it! Just continue with intense prayer and confidence in our Lord.

God bless you. It can be a difficult journey, but I see the fruits and I am well pleased.

Bridget
Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:40 am View user's profile Send private message
kmg365

Post Re: Would love to hear about high school experiences Reply with quote
I'm not a parent, but I'm a Kolbe alumna about to start my senior year of college, so I thought I could chime in with my experience on the flip side of high school homeschoooling Smile

Though I had been homeschooled all my life, we decided year by year whether we were going to continue, and we did tour a Catholic brick and mortar high school during my 8th grade year. While it was a good option for a lot of people, it wasn't the right fit for me. We had used other curricula and switched to Kolbe for high school.

I became pretty independent with my work in 11th grade; once it happened, it happened quickly. I did 12th grade very independently. Working closely with my mom up through 10th grade gave me a really good foundation of knowing what expectations were, how much time I needed to put into things, how to keep track of work done and to be done, and such.

I wrote more about high school and becoming independent in this topic, if you'd like to read more. Like I said, I'm starting my senior year at a private university and I have a full-ride academic scholarship, 3.9 GPA, and double minors. I truly believe Kolbe and homeschooling through high school taught me invaluable tools for success in college and beyond!

I told my mom about your post, so hopefully she'll write back with her side of things too...if she doesn't within a couple of days, I'll bug her till she does Wink

Hope
Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:59 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: