RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Thinking about enrolling for 9th grade.

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » High School View previous topic
View next topic

Thinking about enrolling for 9th grade.
journey00

Post Thinking about enrolling for 9th grade. Reply with quote
I would like my 9th grader to have an accredited transcript but our course of study is not exactly like Kolbe's. She's doing:

English 9: Writeguide (She is reading books/poems/short-stories and writing essays.)
Algebra 1
Earth Science (She is enrolled with Seton for this one class.)
Spanish 1 (live, online class with Homeschool Connections.)
Music: church cantor, piano lessons, private voice lessons, Orff 3 (performance choir).
PE: Travel basketball team, competitive travel soccer team.
Rel 9: Confirmation class at church, Catholic Apologetics online class with Homeschool Connections, self-led Saints study.

Can she still use Kolbe as her school of transcript? We follow Seton's suggestions, though not necessarily their books. Thank you.
Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
The only issue I foresee is that Earth Science is not one of our required science classes for the Magna diploma. You'll just have to make sure you meet the minimum requirements of whichever diploma type you prefer, but we can put all of those classes on one Kolbe transcript. Here's a link to the diploma types on our website:

http://www.kolbe.org/academics/diploma-types/

With all the changes you'd like to make, you'll only qualify for the Standard or Magna diplomas (not the Summa).

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:59 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
journey00

Post Reply with quote
So the earth science cannot be used for the Magna? Sorry if I misunderstood. I have already spent the money on the class and It is one of Seton's enrolled classes she enjoys. She's doing Earth Science this year and Biology next year.

Thank you.
Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:11 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Our Magna science requirement is Biology, Chemistry, and a Physical Science. Classes that qualify under a physical science course are IPC (intro to physics and chem), Physics, and/or Astronomy. Earth Science is a general sci course often slotted for middle school, and we don't allow that to count towards the Magna. However, she CAN count it as an academic elective of which the Magna requires 2 years. She'd just have to do the other 3 years of science in 10th, 11th, and 12th to fulfill the science requirements of the Magna.

The Standard diploma only requires one biological and one physical science, so you could still do that diploma and only have to do 2 more years of science even with the earth science.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:16 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
journey00

Post Reply with quote
Hi Megan,

Thank you for your quick reply. This Earth Science course by Seton is specifically for high schoolers and considered high school level work. Because of the information you just gave me, I wish we would of done some type of physical science instead since I know she is not going to do anymore science after Biology and she will have enough electives to cover the Magna requirement for electives. If it weren't for the fact that she is actually enjoying the course, I would feel like it is a waste of time. sigh. Ok. Thank you again. Smile
Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Overall, Kolbe's mission and philosophy is to provide excellent curriculum in all disciplines, science and math included. So don't beat yourself up as this is not the first time this has happened to a family transferring from another homeschool provider. Honestly, it could also happen if you were transferring in from any school with different requirements. All schools have their own philosophy and pedagogy for offering the courses in the order that they do, and each sets its own diploma requirements.

Earth science is a great science course, but we recommend Physical Science in 8th or 9th grade specifically to prepare students for biology, chemistry and potentially physics. Biology is very bio-chem heavy compared with when we were in high school, and a physical science course such as Intro to Physics and Chem, will introduce them to basic chemistry such as elements and their symbols, balancing simple equations, and writing chemical formulas. Earth Science does not prepare students in this way no matter how you slice it. Anyway, point here is to say that we aren't trying to be strict or mean on the requirement, just that our requirements are aimed specifically at preparing a student well to tackle the high school level courses that 4 yr colleges and universities often require for admission (typically Biology w/ Lab and Chemistry w/ Lab and sometimes Physics). Our Magna diploma is considered our college prep diploma, and so it follows that all the disciplinary requirements would be aimed at fulfilling the admission requirements for the majority of colleges. The Standard however, has quite a few less requirements and so students who may start at 2 yr college or go to vocational school have requirements specifically aimed for them in that diploma type.

I hope this helps!

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:46 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
journey00

Post Reply with quote
The two liberal arts Catholic colleges (St. Gregory's, Benedictine, and of course, the local community college) she's considering will accept one lab science and any other type of science which is the primary reason we chose the earth science course. So, we are still on course to the schools she prefers so it is all still good. We may still enroll with the Kolbe Online Academy for one course such as Religion. Does Kolbe Online Academy open for mid-year enrollment if there is room? Thank you again, Megan. You are always a great help. Smile
Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:29 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Yes - the online academy enrollment is open year-round, but you have to get approved to join mid-stream by emailing onlineacademy@kolbe.org. Typically approval for Theology, Lit and History is easy to get, if there is room in the class you want.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:34 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » High School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: