RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
making friends outside of the family

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

making friends outside of the family
mamacrow

Post making friends outside of the family Reply with quote
I'm trying to come up with some kind of social activity all my children (13, 12, 10, and 7) can do at the same time, same place.

My kids enjoy hanging out with each other at home, but I would like to give them the opportunity to broaden their circles of friends.

They are involved in CCD, altar serving, a co-op science class, weekly trips to the library, and the gym. All of these are good but none have much social interaction. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Misti
Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
My girls right now are involved in Girls' Club which is through Opus Dei. They LOVE it. It provides a little outside social with some really nice families and girls. They also come to work with me, so they interact with the patients also, and see Mama at work. I think this provides just enough outlet (along with piano, CCD, etc) along with the occasional outing with their other friends from public school.
Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
Is there a Knights of Columbus council in your area? If so, maybe there is a boys' Squire club your boys (age 10-17) could join. If there is a KC council but no Squires club, perhaps you can approach a Knight to start one. The father of the boys do not need to be a Knight.

Perhaps you could join with other Catholic homeschoolers or families in your parish to start a Blue Knight/Little Flowers club. http://www.eccehomopress.com/ The various age groups could meet at the same time but in but different rooms.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
redpanda23

Post formation of our children Reply with quote
I received some negative remarks about homeschooling and the formation necessary for children. This includes statements that our children need more "experience"--and can only get that by being in the public "arena"--therefore they are different, they are looked at critically and as if they won't have the same physical, emotional, social, etc formation as kids from public schools. Our children have been involved in scouting, field trips, catechism classes (as teachers/assistants/and as students), archdiocesan programs, homeschool co-ops, music lessons and more. This also seems to be tied into the latest description of youth programs being under the "formation &discipleship" and the focus has moved far away from catechism.

My husband and I are glad that we have homeschooled our children, with Kolbe, and now, our oldest is in college. He is facing some outside influences, and I am glad that he got the formation he did by being homeschooled. Unfortunately, he too, has to almost "prove himself" as good as the other students.

Do you have a reference I can cite so that people can read some good facts about homeschoolers?--does anyone else have this same problem going on?
Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:22 am View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
Look on the HSLDA website.

http://www.hslda.org/research/

There may be something in one of these that will help you.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:47 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: