RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Kindergarten Reading

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School View previous topic
View next topic

Kindergarten Reading
MSOWA

Post Kindergarten Reading Reply with quote
I am considering Kolbe vs CHC Kindergarten Phonics/Reading instruction. Can anyone offer advice between these two programs?

Thank you!
Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:19 am View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
I used "Teach your child to read to 100 easy lessons" for my first two.

I did try CHC for my third (who struggled with reading), but didn't think it provided him enough help.

I then switched to Little Angel Readers by Stone Tablet Press.

It is Catholic, has a phonic workbook that is integrated with the reading lessons, has spelling lessons/test integrated with it. It has word drill pages where the child read a bunch a words that are related to the concept learned. Some (or maybe all) of the drill pages are meant to timed. (Child #3 who struggled with reading never did achieve the goal time, so I always added extra time to his goal speed.)

I broke most lessons into 2 lessons for Child #3 to provide review. Child #4 did them as written from what I can remember. (Child #4 is now in 9th grade.)

After finishing Little Angel Readers, the author recommended to place children Catholic Reader #2 (if using CNR) and agree with that as CNR becomes hard pretty quickly.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:06 am View user's profile Send private message
MSOWA

Post Reply with quote
Thank you! Does anyone else have some advice on initial reading programs (i.e. Little Angel Readers, Kolbe, CHC, etc) beginning in Kindergarten?
Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:47 am View user's profile Send private message
JoeW

Post Phonics Reply with quote
We used good books (Danny the Dinosaur, et al; St Joseph books; Frog and Toad; Little Bear), and the McGuffey Eclectic Primer, along with phonics cards. The Primer and a lot of patience made a very effective reader of our son; the primer helped make sure we weren't missing anything in teaching him. We moved on to the CNR Primer in 1st grade and then to the sequenced books. The two primers together were helpful; they helped reinforce things (for him and for us!).

For Mom and Dad, I can't recommend enough "The ABCs and All Their Tricks" by Margaret Bishop. It's a fantastic phonics reference for those of us who didn't learn -- or don't remember -- all their phonics rules. Sometimes I've found an answer very easily and sometimes I've had to dig a bit, but I've always found the "why" behind a spelling rule in that book.
Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:57 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: