RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ADHA

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities View previous topic
View next topic

ADHA
mamacrow

Post ADHA Reply with quote
Our 6th grader and 12th grader were just diagnosed with ADHD. What kind of modifications to education can we put into place?
Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:45 am View user's profile Send private message
Celeste Cuellar

Post Reply with quote
My suggestions are based on my own and my husband's ADhD (I write it that way b/c we both have way more D than H), our grandchildren's ADD and ADHD and Asperger's, and the years I spent working in classrooms with special needs students. Hopefully some of it will be useful! Smile

Here are some of the most common, and easiest accommodations, to make for children with ADHD. Let them chew gun while they work. Or drink something using a straw. Or have a squeezable toy in their hands. Otherwise they'll drum the table, chew their pencils, swing their feet, rock their chair, and on and on and on. Better to pick something they can fidget with ahead of time. I only ever took away a fidget if it was used inappropriately, and that was mostly my fault. Don't give any child, let alone one who has a chemical imbalance that impedes self-discipline, a ball! Wink

Have them stand while working, or lie on the floor, or sit on a yoga ball. That last one works because they have to expend energy to maintain their balance and it allows their body to be occupied while the mind is working. Needless to say, this can also be a great big distraction! Very Happy

Work times need to be shorter. Maybe significantly shorter, like as little as ten minutes at a time. Work times should be punctuated with calisthenics or running up and down the stairs or something that gets their body moving. For our grands, we like to have them use the X-box Kinect games.

There are a lot more things that can be done, and here are two of the best websites for an overview: http://ncld.org/types-learning-disabilities/adhd-related-issues/adhd and http://www.ldonline.org/.

This website http://www.education.com/reference/article/classroom-modifications-accommodations/ has some specific suggestions that I think are helpful.

Please feel free to PM if you'd like more input.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Celeste Cuellar, MA
Dean of Students & Families
Kolbe Online Academy
Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:16 am View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for this! My daughter has cerebral palsy with ADHD. I keep our school area pared down and simple. This helps. Math has been a struggle, but we just keep plugging through.

Thank you for the tips! I am going to implement some of them.

Bridget
Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: