RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Latin Placement

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » High School View previous topic
View next topic

Latin Placement
debbiejz

Post Latin Placement Reply with quote
My 8th grade daughter is in Second Form Latin. Would it be best to start her in Henle One instead of finishing the Forms series?

Thank you

Debbie Z
Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:41 am View user's profile Send private message
debbiejz

Post Crickets? Reply with quote
I guess I'll try to get in touch with an advisor.
Wed May 04, 2016 6:54 am View user's profile Send private message
GeorgiaLH

Post Reply with quote
I'm curious about what you decided to do with Latin. Did you continue with Second Form or Third Form...or start with Henle One? At home, online, or self-paced? My son completed First Form, and he will be taking the Second Form Self-Paced class when it becomes available. We've heard wonderful things about Mr. Almanzar.
Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
debbiejz

Post Reply with quote
Sorry to be so long in my reply. This is not an active forum. I did not ever get a reply and my daughter decided to do Spanish for high school. From what I understand, the first four forms from memoria press cover the same material as in Henle I. I have not seen Henle myself. I cannot afford classes from Kolbe, either live or recorded. I do have the DVDs from memoria press and they seem quite helpful.
Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:56 am View user's profile Send private message
GeorgiaLH

Post Reply with quote
Thank you, Debbie.

We've started the Self-Paced Second Form Latin with Mr. Almanzar. Yes, it is expensive. I've used the DVDs with Memoria Press. The man on First Form spoke too quickly for us. We've watched one self-paced video so far and Mr. Almanzar is very impressive. I can't afford online classes and this self-paced class is expensive too, but I got it at the lower "original" price since it wasn't completed when we signed up. We love Latin and hope to continue with it. What is your daughter using for Spanish?
Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:08 am View user's profile Send private message
JoeW

Post Fourth Form and Henle 1 Reply with quote
From what I understand, if you complete the Fourth Form books, you *could* (but don't have to) skip Henle 1. So Memoria Press itself recommends going from Fourth Form to Henle 2. Kolbe doesn't seem to have recommended the same, though. When we get there (a few books back, still), I think the extra review couldn't hurt, so we intend to do the four MP books then go into Henle 1-4 for high school.
Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
only part of Henle I is covered in Latin I (up through Lesson 28)

Latin II is the remaining Henle I and ALL of Henle II with one "review" and one new material lesson from Henle II each week.

Latin III and Latin IV are Henle III and Henle IV respectively.

My children have never done Henle IV.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:23 am View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
oh Unless you are a Latin whiz, I recommend buying Henle I and II answer keys from Our Lady of Victory School. They made answer keys that have answers to the grammar exercises in the front (for exercises where the regular Henle answer key assumes the teacher will easily and quickly know the answers so answers aren't printed) and the regular Henle answer key is photocopied in the back portion of the answer key.

The OLVS make life much easier parents who don't have a degree in Latin (which I assume is most of us!)

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:31 am View user's profile Send private message
redpanda23

Post Henle Latin 3 and 4 Reply with quote
hello, one of my students completed Henle Latin through Henle, year 4. He studied it totally as a homeschool class, no dvds, or online instruction; so it is possible to do; I am sure the online class would have helped with some ot the translations in Latin 4, but that class was not available at the time. thanks, lisa
Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:20 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » High School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: