RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Singapore Math
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School View previous topic
View next topic

Singapore Math
Sylvia

Post Singapore Math Reply with quote
Can anyone share any experiences they have had with Singapore Math?

I am thinking of getting it for my four year old. Also, if anyone uses it, do you use the US or Standard edition? I was looking to get the Early Bird edition and wasn't sure which would be the best one.
Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 am View user's profile Send private message
momgineer

Post Reply with quote
We are on our second year of Singapore math. I have used all levels from 1A to 6B at various times with various kids. I have not used the earlybird math yet, but plan to with my 4 year old next year. The standards edition just came out a week or so ago, so most likely noone has used it yet. We are using the US edition. I love Singapore math! But then again, my husband and I are both engineers who love math. I use the program because of the way it teaches children to really think about math and understand what they are doing and why. It is said that a student can go from 6B to algebra, but I prefer a year of pre-algebra and we have used Singapore NEM 1 for this pre-algebra year, but we plan to go onto Jacobs for algebra. I much prefer Singapore over Saxon (I have not had experience with any other math program). The standards edition sounds even better than the US edition, but it looks a little more expensive and it ends at 5B so you would have to go onto the US edition or another program at that point.
Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:59 am View user's profile Send private message
Sylvia

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendation! The only negative I have found is that it does not do enough repetition for the children to really get comfortable with the skills. Have you found this to be the case? Did you supplement with anything (workbook or manipulatives)?

Singapre math seems to teach so differently, you didn't have any trouble switching over to Jacobs?
Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:14 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
The only negative I have found is that it does not do enough repetition for the children to really get comfortable with the skills.

This soon becomes a non-negative when you supplement with one of their extra practice workbooks. If I were choosing two books to supplement with, I would pick the extra practice and independent practice (this would be on top of using the textbook and workbook).

Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sylvia

Post Reply with quote
Thanks Megan! Do you have any opinion of Singapore vs some of the other programs? If you can give thoughts on programs not used by the Kolbe curriculum! Smile
Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:47 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
In my fairly extensive research in math curriculums, this is the only one I like over Saxon in terms of Scope and Sequence, methodology, and availability of supplements for both slower and quicker learners. I haven't extensively reviewed it in comparison to other programs (except comparing scope and sequence and reading about methodology), so I can't say much else than that. I pretty much recommend this program alone to my Kolbe Saxon-haters Smile.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sylvia

Post Reply with quote
Thanks Megan! I appreciate all your feedback.
Sylvia
Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
Sylvia

Post Math U See? Reply with quote
Megan,
I have also had someone recommend Math U See. They liked it better than Singapore. Are you familiar with this one?
Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:50 am View user's profile Send private message
momgineer

Post Reply with quote
Sylvia wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation! The only negative I have found is that it does not do enough repetition for the children to really get comfortable with the skills. Have you found this to be the case? Did you supplement with anything (workbook or manipulatives)?

Singapre math seems to teach so differently, you didn't have any trouble switching over to Jacobs?

Well, we have not started Jacobs yet- that will be next year. We have the book though and it looks great. This daughter only did one year of Singapore Primary math (5a-6b in one year) and is doing their NEM 1 this year. NEM1 is a pre-algebra/beginging algebra course offered by Singapore. They offer NEM (which stands for New Elementary Math) in four levles that takes students through algebra, geometry, algebra 2 and trig. It does not seem to me that Singapore teaches that differently- it just teaches more ways to see things- like using bar models to solve word problems. It also expects more out of the student than most US books. My daughter is doing well with NEM, but it goes so fast through some concepts that we look forward to changing to Jacobs next year and slowing down a little.

As far as the repetition and supplements: There are really two different issues to consider- learning of facts and learning of concepts. To learn facts by heart, the student will need to do drills. This could be flash cards, a computer program (Singaporemath.com sells one), or paper drills like Calculadder. The schools in Singapore do drills with the students. This is a core part of the program and is recommended in the Home Instructor's guides. To learn the concepts taught, the textbook and workbook should be sufficient for most students. The way the concepts are taught really help the student "see" how to do the problem. For those that need more practice there is the Extra Practice workbook. My understanding is that the text and workbook are all that are really needed to get the necessary math skills for that level. For those that want more there are three supplements available: Extra Practice (EP), Intensive Practice (IP), and Challenging Word Problems (CWP). EP is simply more of the workbook type problems for those who just did not quite get it the first time. We have never used these. The IP is our favorite. It takes the concepts learned and makes the student really apply those concepts to solve harder problems. It includes lots of word problems along with "regular" problems. The CWP is all word problems of various difficulty. We have just aquired some of these and have not used them much yet, but they look great for helping the student really grasp how to do word problems.

Megan commented on the teaching of negative numbers. PM US edition does not teach negative numbers or multiplying and dividing decimals by decimals. It teaches whole numbers multiplied and divided by decimals though. NEM teaches these concepts at the begining of NEM1. So a student would need to do either an extensive pre-algebra text or NEM1 before getting into algebra. My understanding is that the new standards edition introduces these concepts at the 5 level. So I would thinks a student could finish standards 5 and then do US edition 6A&B (there is no standards level 6) and be ready for algebra.

I know I rambled a lot. Hope this helps a little.
Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:32 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Generally speaking, the scope and sequence for Math U See is not as rigorous as Saxon in comparing apples to apples. But, that's all I have to say about it, I have not reviewed its methodology extensively.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:16 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sylvia

Post Reply with quote
Thanks everyone, this has been extremely helpful! I think we will do Singapore!
Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:58 am View user's profile Send private message
mollie

Post Singapore math- which version? Reply with quote
I understand there are a few different versions of Singapore math. Which version does Kolbe recommend? Thank you!
Mollie Smile

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Both the US and Standard edition available at www.singaporemath.com are the one's I've reviewed. I decided to go with the Standard as it is the program they are updating more consistently. It aligns with California standards (not the reason i preferred it) and covers negative numbers a bit better than the US edition. Be sure to get the Home Instructor Guides and Tests.

HTHs!

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JoeW

Post Starting out... Reply with quote
We're starting with Kindergarten soon. Is Singapore going to be a part of the Kolbe curriculum in the future, so that it might be worthwhile starting off with it? Or should we start with MCP?

Thanks!
Joe
Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Yes- Singapore will be an option for Kolbe math starting (hopefully) next year... at least we'll be rolling out a few grades at a time, with K being first. We will continue to carry MCP as an option at least until all of Singapore is rolled out, and most likely even afteward so that our families have options to choose from.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: