RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
possible dyslexia- advice please

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities View previous topic
View next topic

possible dyslexia- advice please
momgineer

Post possible dyslexia- advice please Reply with quote
My 5th child is 6 and in kindergarten. She is not enrolled in Kolbe although 3 of the older children are. We did not enroll her as I planned to just use a variety of materials and "play around with school" while concentrating of reading and math. She gets math great- she has finished all 3 kindergarten math options that Singapore Math offers and will start their Primary Math 1 next week. She is really struggling with reading though and I am concerned that she is mildly dyslexic. I never would have thought of dyslexia, but when I wrote on another forum about her difficulty remembering things (color names, shape names, letter names and sounds) someone suggested dyslexia. I have done quite a bit of research including the sites you recommened in a previous topic on dyslexia. She has so many of the early warning signs- late talker, mixing up letters in words (aminal), not remembering names of things, not being able to rhyme until age 6, wanting really badly to be able to read and just not getting it. She is a very hard worker and is making some progress. At age 5, she could not remember all her letter names and knew very few sounds. She would learn them one day then forget the next. She was 6 in Nov. She can now name the letters and most sounds, she can blend sounds into words, but she always has to sound out. Even words she has seen numerous times she has to sound out each time. Sight words like a, the, and etc are just now starting to sink in. Her difficulty now is reading stories. We are using Little Angel Readers and despite being 9 months into kindergarten, she is only half way through the first book that my older son got through in just two months. She can read each word in the story, but frequently forgets what the first words were by the time she gets to the end of the sentence. She frequently gets headaches while reading. Just today she told me that she wants to like reading (we are big readers in this family), but her head is so noisy when she tries to read. I asked her what it was noisy about and she said trying to remember all those letter sounds and words and they just all make so much noise in her head she can't think.
She is young- only 6, but since she has the warning signs and is struggling, I am wondering if we should wait it out and see if it clicks or if we should get her tested and try some intervention. The benefit of homeschooling is that I can tailor a program to fit her needs which is what I have been trying to do. Should I just keep doing what I am doing and trying to adjust to her needs, or do think she would benefit from a professional evaluation. If so, what type of evaluation do you suggest? I am hesitant to go to the public school and get involved in IEPs at this time as I feel I can work with her on my own, if I just know what to focus on. what type of private resources are available to homeschoolers? And finally, if I enrolled her in Kolbe next year, do you have any resources available to us?

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message
momgineer

Post Reply with quote
Anyone have any suggestions?

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:35 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Debbie- Melissa said she would be emailing you separately. Just an fyi.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: