RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Kolbe for Unschoolers

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Kolbe for Unschoolers
catieR

Post Kolbe for Unschoolers Reply with quote
After reading the posts on the field trip thread I began to wonder if anyone else out there began Homeschool life as an "unschooler". I am DEEP in grading for 2nd quarter and hoping to get enough done by tomorrow (Christmas Eve) that I can forget it all for a few days and focus on the Most Blessed Of Days, so this will be a subject opener only.

I feel like an addict at her first AA meeting; but here I go... I have a Junior, a Sophomore, fifth, third and first and we do NOT do all the work as given in the course plans.

That said; They do complete all the assigned reading and take the Kolbe exams and all required testing for K in most courses. The girls in High School are pursuing the Magna diploma. We believe STAUNCHLY that it is about Quality not quantity and I would love to hear others comments.

I will be more specific over the Holidays, after the 2nd quarter stuff is packaged and mailed out. We will not resume courses until after Epiphany so that we can do all the traditional Christmas stuff during Christmas (as opposed to advent). So this year that means no school until the 10th and time for mom on the forum.

My purpose in starting this thread is to give both heads up and confidence to up and coming Kolbe families. I know a few families who dropped out of Kolbe because they felt it was just TOO hard. Since Kolbe has ALWAYS encouraged flexibility I don't understand and yet, I do. If you read much of what is written on the forum it seems everyone else does everything. And I know many of you do, BUT some just don't have that kind of family and I hope that this thread will encourage them to still pursue Kolbe's curriculum even if it needs to be at their family's pace.
Humbly Yours,
KELLY Rogers
Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
momofhobbits

Post Reply with quote
Embarassed My daughter was logged on my computer again!
This post was from mom (kelly) not Catie.
Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:56 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
While I don't "unschool", I have never done Kolbe as is. I use different math until 5th grade. I used different spelling for my first two and didn't start vocab until 7th grade. With my younger two, I used different spelling until 5th grade when I switched/will switch to vocab. With my oldest, I only did 1 semester of literature for 12th grade. With my second due to a late start due to working at the end of summer, I cut Beowulf and Dream of Rood from 11th Literature (and rewrote Kolbe's test eliminating those questions). Also with my oldest, I used Jacobs Algebra & Geometry and Foersters Algebra and Trigonometry (with Megan's blessing) before the course plans were finished. My oldest and now my second have taken dual-enrolled college classes for some their credits. Yes, you can be flexible. I have done it.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:56 am View user's profile Send private message
momofhobbits

Post Reply with quote
Thank you Sharon for your post, this is exactly the type of comments I was looking for. I hope to encourage more families by showing how some of us who have "been there done that" incorporate the Challexibility thing in our homes.
PS, If Paul is any indication, your children have benefited well from your procedures. He has been a dear friend and great encouragement to my girls these past few years.
God Bless You and All Your Family this Christmas Season,
Kelly
Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
slhallford

Post Reply with quote
I am the field trip thread mum.

Thank you for this thread! I often feel that if I cut something out of the curriculum, they'll be missing out on something that I won't realize they really need. I can say truthfully that we've never done a book report for literature. My 5th grader will happily write essays on the topics and complete the exams but the book reports just seemed purposeless given that. Grammar seems so far below his abilities at his grade level that we simply do it out loud for the most part. If we have a relentlessly busy week, I'll do Reading questions out loud with them as well or let them pick the evens or odds. This year, the math was so much review that we simply took the tests until we got to new material for him. Even so, he seems to grasp the material easily so we'll pick the evens or odds to do unless he finds a topic that is difficult for him.

I'll also admit that while we are well into the 2nd quarter, I haven't sent in the 4th quarter grades from last year. I have grades done and samples collected for the first quarter but still need to make copies to send it. I feel so overwhelmed with the daily work, I never seem to get to it.

S
Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
I used to make my older kids do book reports. But I quickly cut down to one per quarter. Once they reached 7th grade, I used Progeny Press and Race For Heaven study guides and cut out book reports.

Kolbe didn't have the grade school/junior high literature until my 2nd was, maybe, in 7th grade. Since I had the other study guides, I didn't have have #2 do any of Kolbe except for the junior high poetry and I eliminated a few of poems. One I didn't cut out was Longfellow's Hiawatha. Since we are from Minnesota, it is almost like history for us Very Happy .

My younger two have never done a book report. Child #4 will likely do some Kolbe middle school lit. instead of 6th grade reading. CNR6 is really hard!
Child #3 is reading one CNR book below his grade level (IE this year #3 is in 6th grade but doing CNR5). Both will end up doing the poetry unit or at least Hiawatha. They will likely also use my Progeny Press and Race For Heaven study guides instead of Kolbe. Progeny Press guides I spread out for a full quarter for one book. For #3, I think reading a book in 2-4 weeks would kill him. I have to order him to read. He is more willing when I say Outside Reading is in the Kolbe course plans.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
rjrmommy

Post Reply with quote
This is an interesting topic, along with the Field Trips question also posted on this forum, and something I am struggling with. We have always used Kolbe since I started my oldest (now in 3rd grade) with Kindergarten. I felt that since I have multiple children (currently schooling two along with a preschooler and a toddler) I really needed a structured program that tells me what to do and how to do it and "forces" me to be accountable by sending in grades at least once a year.

My sister homeschools her only child and she is mostly a secular unschooler. I don't envy the secular part but she really is able to let her daughter take the lead and do things that her daughter delights in. She has time to go to the library and pick out whatever books Penelope is interested in and do school around that. She does do Math U See but for most other subjects she takes her daughters interests and finds online worksheets or museums or other field trips and works that into her school. It seems as though they really enjoy school every day whereas we are doing worksheet after worksheet, trying to stay on schedule and get everything done and not able to really do the "joyful" things that we imagined homeschool would bring us.

I have the unfortunate personality of being a perfectionist and a "rules-follower" which doesn't help!! If the worksheet has a thousand problems on it well, by gum, we're doing a thousand problems! Smile I also know my kids well enough that I know that if I say today, well you only need to do 500 of those thousand problems that the next day they're also going to only want to do half. I guess I haven't yet figured out how to be flexible so that we can get the maximum out of our Kolbe homeschool curriculum AND the tremendous opportunities all around us to learn. Any suggestions in this area are GREATLY appreciated.
Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
slhallford

Post Reply with quote
slhallford wrote:

I'll also admit that while we are well into the 2nd quarter, I haven't sent in the 4th quarter grades from last year. I have grades done and samples collected for the first quarter but still need to make copies to send it. I feel so overwhelmed with the daily work, I never seem to get to it.

On a positive note this thread motivated me. I finished all my grading and copying to send my final grades in for the 4th qtr and the 1st qtr of this year. I can mail them in tomorrow.

Wink

S
Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
momofhobbits

Post I will never just make my kids sit and do workbooks... Reply with quote
I have had to eat those words for many years now. Back when I just had the two girls (18 months apart) I could give them the kind of attention that allowed them to take the lead on what we did. Like reading the entire Mandie series or building a model volcano. Now, I let them take the lead in little ways, because like rjrmommy I needed the structure so they could work while I was doing my motherly chores. Six years ago that was because I had three toddlers in the house, today it is because those toddlers need to do their work independently while I spend a whole day trying to slug through Physics, or Trig, or something that has the high schoolers crying. "Little ways" is things like letting Thomas NOT write out the answers to the CNR questions for two days, in exchange for a book report on his much beloved Gahoole books. Or when they say, "Do I HAVE to write the answers in complete sentences?" I say, "What will you give me in exchange?" We work through what we think is a "fair" trade that day. Sometimes it is writing out complete sentences in a subject where I hadn't asked for it, like Science or Religion. Some days it may be that they just don't feel like writing THAT day. So I let them do it orally or just complete (not sentence) answers and then they pick something for the next day that they will do extra writing for. They learn really quickly that they hate it more if they put it off, so they usually only take advantage of this if they REALLY just felt they could not write one more thing that day.

These are my first thoughts on what I have gleaned from our seven years of Kolbe, in which I have now used all 13 years of curriculum. My eldest started when she was in fifth, my son is now in fifth and I teach my neice who is a senior.

Every child should do at least one research report before graduating High School. We are trying for one state/country report in 5th or 6th. One simply research report in 7th or 8th and hopefully two in High School.
Every child should know HOW to write a good book report, by the time they finish eighth grade.
Every child should know how to write in Cursive.
Every child should know how to take notes when reading. I missed this with my girls and so they are having to learn it in High School, whereas I am now making Thomas take notes when he does his history reading (5th grade) just so he develops that skill.
Before moving on in math concept the child just needs to know it well. So, if you can do a speed drill of 100 multiplication problems in 5 minutes with only one or two mistakes you are ready for division, whether you have done, 5000 or 5,000,000 multiplication problems. All of my kids wanted to do Math quicker than the MCP books allow, so I let them do Multiplication in first grade and division in 2nd. We still use MCP I just trade for a more rigorous Math Page on a day when they are doing one of those "all the same stuff" pages.
I would like to hear what other things moms think are "necessitites".
God Bless You All as you re-enter the fray.
KELLY
Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:06 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: