RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How is the Terra Nova different from the CAT-5?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

How is the Terra Nova different from the CAT-5?
rc3tkc

Post How is the Terra Nova different from the CAT-5? Reply with quote
I've used Kolbe's CAT-5 in the past for my primary level kids (so far, have tested for 1st and 3rd grade). I will need to do a standardized test next spring for my 5th and 3rd graders and even though it's almost a year away, I'd like to decide which one to use in the next few weeks so I can set my mind at ease about satisfying state requirements. Who has used both the CAT-5 and the Terra Nova? Can you compare your experiences using both? Subject matter, testing times, scoring differences, logistics, etc.? I'd love to hear from Kolbe reps and parents. Thanks.
Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
I pinged Hilary Hauser, our standardized test coordinator, to see what her response was. Here is her answer:

Quote:
The biggest diff. is that the CAT5 has norms from 1992/93 and the TerraNova is up to date with 2007 norms. This makes it a much better tool for looking at how students are doing. The TerraNova is similar in scoring and reading results as the CAT5, the subject matter is better suited to things going on today that children will be familiar with. (like the “green movement” which most are exposed to anyway).

One of the complaints I have heard this year is that we have to use 2 books to get the complete battery, which some people don’t like. Also next year I think we’ll modify the suggested schedule of tests and follow the order given in the books instead of trying to lump subjects together. So, for us we have to look at how things went this year and modify some things. I know this isn’t your question, but I’m trying to field some of the responses that may be given.

I hope I have answered your question, the biggest thing, like I said is definitely how current it is, much better to compare today’s students, instead of comparing them to students from 1993, before most of them were even born.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rc3tkc

Post Reply with quote
Thanks! Does it take longer to complete than the CAT-5 did?
Do any parents want to share their experiences?
Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
No, the testing time is about equivalent. We recommend 4 days of testing with about 1 ˝ hrs. total being the longest time in one day.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:18 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: