RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Year-round learning

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Year-round learning
JoeW

Post Year-round learning Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

My wife and I are new to Kolbe. We're just about a quarter into Kindergarten this year. We've been talking for a while, though, about year-round schooling for our child (-ren, God willing).

I wonder if anyone's tried to take the Kolbe curriculum and spread it out year-round with more and shorter breaks, rather than one big summer break. (Basically, 13 week quarters, less breaks.) Has anyone gone year-round with formal curriculum, rather than do Kolbe + fill in the summer with review, etc.?

I was a Catholic grade school / public high school product, and my mom always made sure I was learning informally - playing games, reviewing, practicing math and phonics out in the world. We'd love suggestions along those lines, too.

Thanks & God bless,
Joe
Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 am View user's profile Send private message
KatyLamb

Post Reply with quote
I'm very interested in this topic too because I'm hoping that's how I'll be able to arrange our year.
Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 am View user's profile Send private message
joyann1

Post Reply with quote
I also am interested in this topic. Trying to figure out how it would work.

Anyone know?
Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
gmgraham

Post Year round learning Reply with quote
We have been homeschooling for eight years and started doing more of year round schooling a few years ago. We have a kids in .7th, 5th, 3rd, 1st and a 2 year old and 3 month old. I generally sit down in the summer and work out holiday breaks and any vacation plans and then be sure we are not doing school for more than nine weeks straight. We generally take a week off at a time and with two weeks over Christmas. Sometimes our breaks don't always line up perfectly with the end of quarters...we take a week at Thanksgiving too.

Summer schedule is always lighter though. Each child has assigned reading as well as work in a subject area they need to brush up on...math facts for one, spelling another, handwriting for the first grader.

This type of schedule never looks the same. This year we had to plan around a new baby being born in December and took about six weeks off from "full schedule" and my older kids just finished up about two weeks of work from the second quarter over four weeks time.

I really appreciate the breaks throughout the year. They give me a chance to rejuvenate, get things taken care of around the house, work in a few extra doctor appointments, and maybe some fun stuff too.

We generally take July completely off from everything, start up in August, take breaks accordingly throughout the year and then finish by the end of May. From the end of May to the beginning of July we do "summer schedule" lighter schooling. Since we do a lot of swimming in the summer doing full school wouldn't be appealing to us.

We love this schedule and it helps keep me sane.
Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
KatyLamb

Post Reply with quote
How do you handle the quarterly reporting with year round school?
Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
There is no due date for quarter reports. When you are done with your quarter, send the report in. Many of our families report their entire year at the same time once it is complete.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:23 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KatyLamb

Post Reply with quote
Thank you! That sounds fine. One other question: Once we get the material from Kolbe, does the start date matter? I put down September as a start date but I'd really like to start the new school year this July and finish in June, 2013. Would that work?
Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
JoeW

Post Reply with quote
gmgraham, thanks for the input!
We've been thinking of much the same thing - taking a few weeks of break at a time, with light review and focus on the most needed area(s).

Split evenly, four quarters becomes 9 weeks on + 4 weeks "off". We'll likely take Christmas and Easter weeks off, and take 3 more weeks off at the close of those quarters; we'll take 4 weeks "off" at the close of the other two.

I don't expect it to work out perfectly, of course - and that flexibility is one of the big pluses about homeschooling - but it's good to have a structure to start from. (As I put it to my wife yesterday, "I want to have a plan that we can mess up.")
Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:48 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Start date really only matters if you are changing it to much later. So if you put down that you plan to start in August, but start in October, you technically would just want to make sure to re-register before the next October (or call for an extensions... usually no charge in most situations) so that you don't stop getting our newsletters or access to the advisors. Once you re-register, your year starts over anyway, and most of our families re-register a few months in advance of their start date anyway.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: