RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
literature and special needs

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities View previous topic
View next topic

literature and special needs
drmommy

Post literature and special needs Reply with quote
My daughter is in the fourth grade, and is having a hard time with a lot of the questions in literature. Can we just stay with the reading of CNR? It just is too much for her. Right now, she is reading Black Beauty, and it is not holding her attention. I was looking at the book list, and the books are wonderful, and worked well for my typical older two girls, but they are difficult for my slower fourth grader.

I would like to stick with the CNR 3 for her right now, and the Seton Readers. Her attention span is limited for a big chapter book right now.

Do I need literature for the fourth grade? Should I hold off until she matures a little? She is intellectually delayed, but is plugging along with everything. She realistically should be in the 5th grade, but doesn't know it. Our school year pretty much runs the full year.

She struggles with everything, but is getting through. However, literature has become my standstill with her.

Any suggestions? I understand I can modify the plans, but I don't want to do her to be behind too far in literature if I stop doing the plans, etc.

Thanks. Bridget
Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:49 am View user's profile Send private message
Everett Buyarski

Post Reply with quote
You can certainly make substitutions that better fit your student. Given what you've described, sticking with focusing on just the reading and comprehension for now sounds like a good plan, and you can slowly work up to the literature. You might consider trying something like The Boxcar Children at some point, as that's probably easier reading still than Black Beauty.
Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 am View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
Thank you! We did finish Boxcar, but once we hit BB, there was blockage!!

Thank you, as I already feel relief! God bless, Bridget
Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:56 am View user's profile Send private message
redpanda23

Post literature and special needs Reply with quote
One of my children has had difficulty with literature also; he enjoys the CNR and we answer questions orally. His reading ability greatly improved over the past year (he's 10 now). I allowed him to go at his own pace for a while, and let him choose small chapter books from the library and other subject books (science, sports, crafts, etc.). The Kolbe literature program for elementary school is very good, we will probably study a few books more than 1 time until he really understands what is needed for a book report, essay . Hope this helps. Enjoy your time together, before you know it, your child will be in high school!

Lisa
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:18 am View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
Lisa, thank you for the encouragement and good ideas. My daughter also has a very challenging time with science (she doesn't understand abstract things) also, so going to the library is a good option for that. I am sticking with more of a biology/nature type of program for science.

Yes, I will be using the CNR and Seton Readers with her. She does comprehend stories, but I think the books are a little difficult for her right now. Even though she is in fourth grade, she really should be in fifth.

Yes, the Kolbe lit plan is very good...I have two older daughters in Kolbe, and it really helped them to achieve better comprehension and writing skills. I just have to remember to slow down for my little one. Bridget
Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: