RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Modifying Kolbe LA for a dyslexic child

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities View previous topic
View next topic

Modifying Kolbe LA for a dyslexic child
AimeeM

Post Modifying Kolbe LA for a dyslexic child Reply with quote
We plan to enroll our daughter (11) in Kolbe next year.
Autumn is dyslexic and it showcases primarily in her writing and spelling. She reads okay, but her writing and spelling are... horrible. We have a spelling program that is working very, very well, but we haven't yet found a writing program that works for her. I do not think Kolbe's writing choices would work either (they look similar to some we've tried). She needs something very incremental; something that does NOT ask for "creative writing" or for her to come up with her own ideas about *what* to write about. I've yet to find any programs other than Calvert's Verticy that is SPECIFICALLY writing for dyslexics - we've tried Hake, Winning With Writing, Writing With Ease, Writing With Skill, and we're attempting Killgallon now.

Any suggestions? Sad
Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:26 am View user's profile Send private message
nbearer27

Post Writing program Reply with quote
My daughter has used IEW and I love it. It has taught her how to write a step at a time. I am a special needs teacher and I homeschool. In all my years teaching this is one of the best programs I have come across for students with learning disabilities to write.

"No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to do that"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Everett Buyarski

Post Reply with quote
As Noelle mentioned, while IEW isn't a program for specifically for dyslexia, it does a good job of breaking things down into small chunks, often times line-by-line rewrites.

Also, our program's creative writing isn't the sense many are used to that students just come up with something to write. Our creative writing is based on writing by imitation, so looking at things like fables, and then retelling them, or imitating them. If you wanted to talk more about our program and if it'd be a good fit for you, you can give us a call in the office and speak with Marita, who wrote the lessons plans for it.
Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:45 am View user's profile Send private message
nbearer27

Post Language Arts Reply with quote
None of the curriculums specify an LD. And each child with an LD reacts differently to different curriculums. Only the reading programs like Barton will specify what LD it helps with. But I would suggest something which helped my daughter early on. Dianne Craft has a Writing Program. I would look into that. We used alot from her. Also writing issues also occur due to processing problems and she could help you with that.

God Bless.

"No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to do that"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:57 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: