RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Block scheduling for primary grades?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School View previous topic
View next topic

Block scheduling for primary grades?
justmeandmybrood

Post Block scheduling for primary grades? Reply with quote
Hi, everyone! We are beginning out Kolbe journey this summer with 3rd and 5th grades. Following our now-2nd grader's neuropsychology evaluation, it was recommended that her school be a block schedule. I am wondering if anyone has worked with a block schedule with Kolbe in the earlier grades, and if you may have any suggestions? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Tina
Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:57 am View user's profile Send private message
jonesfamily

Post Reply with quote
Hi! I've been doing block schedule with my 8 year old for the past two years. It hasn't been with Kolbe, but with another school he was attending. It works ok once you get into the rhythm of it. Our schedule has been Tuesday and Thursday are learning days and Monday, Wednesday and Friday are homework days. The only suggestion I have is to incorporate a lot of breaks into the day. We work in mostly 20 minute increments then take a snack or play break. That seems to work well for us! We're also implementing a "work box" system next year so that he can start working more independently. Here's a great blog post I found about work box systems: http://heartofwisdom.com/blog/need-to-get-organized-check-out-homeschool-workboxes/

Hope that helps you!

-Elaine
Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
justmeandmybrood

Post Reply with quote
Thank you so much for sharing, Elaine! Would you mind giving me an example of what your week would look like for a subject?

I was looking at the workbox system last year but our curricula was more hands-on. I am hopeful that perhaps it will be a viable option this year, especially as our curricular choices are more traditional and my kiddos are a little older. Thank you for sharing the workbox link - off I go to check it out and see if it might solve our current challenge of needing Mommy for everything! Thank you so very much!
Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:46 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: