RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
4th gr.Classical Composition: Too advanced or are we behind?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School View previous topic
View next topic

4th gr.Classical Composition: Too advanced or are we behind?
GAK1230

Post 4th gr.Classical Composition: Too advanced or are we behind? Reply with quote
Question Can you tell me if there is pre-requisite to the Fable Stage? For example: should the student already know how to do an outline? The first week involved a very lengthy outline that involved no step-by-step explanation of HOW to do an outline. The lesson flowed in such a way that presumes the child should already know the "how" of writing an outline.
And next week's work seems much harder & even more time-consuming. From my recollection, I didn't learn this kind of stuff until about 6th, or 7th grade. (I had attended Catholic school until 10th grade).
Either this is too advanced, or... my 4th grader is behind?

Thank you & God Bless,
~Georgia
Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:26 am View user's profile Send private message
jbflick

Post Reply with quote
I just started Classical Composition Fable with my fourth grader, and she's never done an outline either. I decided this would provide an opportunity to learn how to do one! So using the sample outline provided in the Memoria Press teacher guide to this book (you have that, right? It's invaluable), I explained to her how the story can be broken down, and I wrote it on a white board bit by bit as we went along and had her simply copy it into her book. We've done two lessons this way so far, and I plan to continue it this way, gradually letting her tell me what should be written, until she gets the hang of it.

Julie
Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:54 am View user's profile Send private message
momgineer

Post Reply with quote
Memoria Press counsels to do that together with the student. They are learning that skill not expected to already know it. Most of the lesson is done together except the rewrites. As the student gets more comfortable you can do less with them, but I remember doing outlines together all year and even into narrative. As we went along he helped much more but I was always there to make sure he was on the right track.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:09 am View user's profile Send private message
Marita Vargas

Post Reply with quote
The outlines are meant to help the student identify all the necessary components of the story. They are meant as an aid, not as an end in themselves. Jim Selby stated that he might have done the outline step differently had he realized that so many people would be using his course plans today. Remember, he trains his teachers at the school where he works as Academic Dean. He does complete workshops, demo lessons, and classroom visits.

Think of the outlining as acts in a play. In the first act we are introduced to the character, that character has a fundamental position toward his surrounding and/or toward others. The act changes when a new character is introduced and/or a new action takes place. The last act occurs when the character(s) are in a new disposition, a reversal has occurred. Students may use key words, abbreviations, notations. This is an outline, not a paraphrase.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:26 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: