RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Kolbe Ltr of Rec & Common App

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » College Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Kolbe Ltr of Rec & Common App
gardener

Post Kolbe Ltr of Rec & Common App Reply with quote
"Confused" is my name of late! Please bear with me.

This is what I know:
(a) I have read on the Kolbe forum that we're to fill out and send a request for a letter of recommendation if we want one from Kolbe. I've downloaded it.
(b) The common application screen requests the "school counselor" name, email, phone number. We've put in Mr. Buyarski's information (from the monthly Kolbe E-journal).
(c) The common application recommender screen allows the option of school counselor, teacher, parent, or other to complete a letter of recommendation (schools vary as to number of recommenders)
(d) We have two recommenders who know our daughter well: one has known her for 4 1/2 years through an online socratic discussion class and they met in person two summers ago; the other is her violin teacher who has known her for over 11 years, but who also has an aversion to dealing with computerized applications.

This is what I don't know:
(1) Do you, Mr. Buyarski, complete a general letter of recommendation through the common application in response to (b) above? Or does Kolbe send only the transcript (like the one we get after we submit our graded papers) via Parchment and a generalized explanation of the Kolbe program in response to (b) above?
(2) Do I, as a parent (even when the school requests that parents of a homeschooler NOT be a recommender) provide detailed information such as I list immediately below?

I guess my confusion comes because counselors of two colleges that are highly selective say they are open to working with us, but also request that, in addition to the testing stuff, homeschoolers "provide detailed syllabi of courses, names of textbooks, names and applicable credentials of instructors, details of assistance received or curriculum followed through any public or private agency, and any additional information that may be helpful" (one school); the other school asks for a "statement describing homeschool structure and mission."

I guess I could do (2) above through one of the writing supplements. I'll just call the counselors again to see if that is appropriate given the word limits on the common application writing supplements.

It would be helpful if Mr. Buyarski could answer (1) above.

Thank you!
Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Everett Buyarski

Post Reply with quote
Why don't you give me a call at the office tomorrow and we can run through the whole thing. 707-255-6499x5 for our department.
Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
gardener

Post OK, I'll call Tuesday Reply with quote
Thank you so much Mr. B. I'll give you a call Tuesday.
I must tell you that I usually write important information like this when in conversation because I don't remember very well, and usually read things three times to make sure I've understood something written. If it's all right with you, I'd like to use my speakerphone so that my hands are free to write.
Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
gardener

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for being available on Tuesday and answering my questions Mr. Buyarski.
I ended up editing the Graduation Class Size to "0" as it did not let me put in letters for "not applicable." That was the only red asterisked request on that screen that I was required to answer. Also, we decided to enter your name in the School Counselor section of the Recommenders screen; then a list for school report, midyear and final report popped up.
Thank you again for your help.
Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » College Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: