RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Any experiences with multiple curriculum substitutions?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction View previous topic
View next topic

Any experiences with multiple curriculum substitutions?
justmeandmybrood

Post Any experiences with multiple curriculum substitutions? Reply with quote
Hi, everyone! We are a first-year family here at Kolbe with our 5th and 3rd graders. I am finding that the classical curriculum is simply not the best fit for their learning needs (several learning disabilities). Has anyone substituted several pieces of curriculum, using other-than-Kolbe recommended pieces? While I do not want to compromise the Kolbe quality, I need to balance things with their current levels of functioning and needs.

I would love to hear your experiences with substituting several things from the recommended curriculum. The Type A person in me says, "Don't do it!" yet the speech pathologist in me reminds me to stay true to their current levels and modify as necessary. Oh, decisions, decisions!

Thanks!
Tina
Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Dear Tina,

It is very important for you to do what works best for each individual child. Whether this means modifying Kolbe materials or simply substituting with other things that work better, that is up to you. Our advising department can be very helpful in giving you feedback on how to modify or ideas for other substitutions. You may want to give them a call 707-255-6499 ext. 5. We have families that substitute for lots of subjects and just use us for transcript or advising services to people that follow us to the letter in terms of curriculum. In the younger grades, there is much flexibility. Only when you get to high school do things get put under the microscope a bit more, but even then we have three different types of diplomas and can even help develop an IEP if none of the diploma types will work for you.

I hope this helps!

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:14 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Celeste Cuellar

Post Reply with quote
Hi Tina,

Our two oldest granddaughter's are currently using a modified Kolbe curriculum for 3rd and 5th. If you want to pm me I might be able to provide some info that would help in your situation.

Celeste
Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am View user's profile Send private message
justmeandmybrood

Post Reply with quote
Thank you both so much for the kind and encouraging words! Finding the balance between providing a curriculum that is not too gentle while still gentle enough to be exciting and encouraging is a challenge!
Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
Hi Tina! I have 3 girls that are 3 different kinds of students, and yes, we do make some changes. I do, however, use Kolbe as a core, and then go from there. What works for one daughter, doesn't always work for the other. I have one daughter who is an average student, another daughter who is super bright, and the third daughter is mentally and intellectually delayed. I use combinations for all daughters, and it is working out beautifully. You can PM me for what worked and is currently working for us.

Bridget
Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
justmeandmybrood

Post Reply with quote
Hi, Bridget! I sent a PM to you last week and another today; however, I seem to be hitting a glitch and I do not think the messages are actually sending. I would love to hear about what has worked (and what has not!) for your kiddos!

Thanks!
Tina
Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
I sent you a short reply but when I get home from work I will type out one on my computer. Sorry I also do not check on here daily. I should check daily tho! Bridget
Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
justmeandmybrood

Post Reply with quote
Thanks, Bridget! Sorry to be a pest - the messages never made it into the "sent" box, so I assumed they did not get out to you Smile
Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
momofhobbits

Post Re: Any experiences with multiple curriculum substitutions? Reply with quote
justmeandmybrood wrote:
I would love to hear your experiences with substituting several things from the recommended curriculum. The Type A person in me says, "Don't do it!" yet the speech pathologist in me reminds me to stay true to their current levels and modify as necessary. Oh, decisions, decisions!

Thanks!
Tina

Tina, you are a girl after my own heart. CHALLEXIBILITY, write it on the ceiling above your bed! I started off as an unschooler and as the number of bodies in my household and my age wore on me I have embraced more and more of the Kolbe boiler plate, but my heart still yearns to give them each that individual plan that works for them. I actually go over their work for the week each Sunday and adjust based on their performance the week before. Until high school it really does not matter! NO ONE is going to go back and see what they did. YOU know what is best for your child. Overall progress in learning is your goal. When I get frustrated with my younger three my graduated daughters remind me that if they have a strong faith and can read, write and speak well; I can be at peace. Smile The Kolbe curriculum is wonderful, but it can be limiting especially when you consider the glazed over look you will get when you tell your eighth grader-just one more year of Voyages, honey. There is so much available out there, do not be afraid to substitute!
Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:15 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Parent Interaction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: