RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
7th Grade new Kolbe students -- q. about course req.

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Junior High School View previous topic
View next topic

7th Grade new Kolbe students -- q. about course req.
donnabelle

Post 7th Grade new Kolbe students -- q. about course req. Reply with quote
Hello, my oldest daughter just wrapped up her 9th grade year homeschooling through Kolbe and her twin sisters are finishing up their 6th grade year in my own personal homeschool without so much support -- we've decided to enroll them in Kolbe for 7th & 8th grade so they are better prepared for highschool. They have only had small smatterings of foreign language -- I know that if they took Latin they would start in the 5th grade book, but I wonder if they *have* to take a language this year since it's going to be a lot more writing and reading work than they're used to already.

Also I wonder if there is room in the Jr. High program for electives, as we are in a co-op where they take a class on Geography and (this year) art & architecture that I would like for them to still be able to join in on. I could make sure those are grade-able classes and save samples of their work, have them write a paper or something so that it can count for credit ...

I'd read on one of the previous topics that they have to have at least 5 academic courses and if Bible History and Theology are different courses, they're up to 8 without the foreign language, just doing the basics ...

I'd appreciate any guidance you can give! Thanks!

~ Donna
Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
donnabelle

Post Reply with quote
Can you also tell me if both the Faith & Life (Religion) course & the Bible History course are required or recommended or if those are dual options from which we can choose?

Thanks!
Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Hi Donna,

You have a lot of flexibility when it comes to the courses you do, so if it makes sense to do classes through the co-op, you can still report those to Kolbe and get credit for them in the same way you report regular Kolbe classes - one graded and written sample of work per quarter per course. Language is not a requirement at the junior high level so you don't need to bring that in. In the homeschool, yes Bible History and Religion are separate. You can do just Religion or Bible History to count toward Religion diploma requirement for 8th grade. (or you can do both)

I hope this helps!

God bless,
Megan Lengyel

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:41 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Junior High School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: