RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Enrollment and using multiple grade levels

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School View previous topic
View next topic

Enrollment and using multiple grade levels
homeschoolinginoregon

Post Enrollment and using multiple grade levels Reply with quote
Is it possible to enroll a student at the elementary level and use more than one grade-level? Probably a combination of 3/4 grade. I ask this because I am not wanting to have my daughter do multiple "official" grade skips, but she is working above grade level in math and reading/reading comprehension. Age-wise, she is a 2nd grader, but is finishing up the last week of Singapore 3B for math and based on what she reads for fun, I would guess she reads at least at the the 4th-5th grade level (and she is really comprehending it).

I was thinking about starting her in 3rd grade as soon as she turns 8, but using 4th grade for Language Arts and Math if that was allowed. I am open to other options though. I understand the pros and cons of getting grade levels ahead at this age, and honestly it is the main reason we are homeschooling (public school was suggesting multiple grade skips last year). We just have to take it one year at a time.
Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:59 am View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
Hello,

I am a parent who has been using Kolbe for years.

Yes, it is most definitely allowed to have a child working from course plans in two different grade levels.

My third child was behind in language arts for years, but getting more and more ahead in math. He is now high school and at grade level for everything except math. He would be considered a year ahead in math.

When registering your child you are able to choose what course plans you want.

As far as reading goes, if you plan to use Catholic National Readers, I suggest you talk to an advisor before putting your daughter a grade ahead. CNR is very rigorous. It is common to have a child one book below what the child grade level is. I have seen CNR Book 6 listed as 8th grade on a home school curriculum website years ago. My third child was a grade below in CNR. My oldest had a little difficulty with a few CNR 6 selections. He is the only one of my children I had use CNR 6. #2 used a Seton readers for 5th grade and CNR 5 for 6th grade. #4 quit using CNR after 4th grade (did use CNR Book 4) and used the literature program for 5th and 6th grade.

Sharon

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
homeschoolinginoregon

Post Reply with quote
Thank you Sharon that was very helpful.
Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:02 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Grade School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: