RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Ignatius Speaks I

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities View previous topic
View next topic

Ignatius Speaks I
sharonh

Post Ignatius Speaks I Reply with quote
I have a second grader who is struggling to read. I just started trying to teach him long vowels and he is also receiving special ed help at the local public school (I consulted with Diane Muth about this in March).

I started "Ignatius Speaks I" with him in 3rd qtr of first grade instead of 2nd quarter. I only had him do two pages per week so he finished only one quarter worth of work. Should I continue this workbook at slower pace or should I just drop the whole thing for now. We need to read many of the things for him, yet he is very bright and seems to be able to do the work. For example, after my husband helped him to read pg 33 on compound words, he was able to read well enough to find the compound words in each sentence and accurately could split them into the two words.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Anastasia DuPuis

Post Reply with quote
I would like to suggest that you put the book aside for now, but as he is becoming more proficient in reading, point out to him the lessons he would have learned formally in the English book. For example, when he comes across nouns, mention that the word is a noun because it names a person, a place, or a thing. If itís a proper noun explain that it is a proper noun, which names a special person, place, or thing. You can tell it is a proper noun because it is capitalized, even in the middle of a sentence. As he begins reading, you can point out the kinds of sentences using the information taught in the English book. It would be okay for him to use English I next year and English 2 the year after. All of the lessons taught will be repeated and built upon throughout elementary school. Right now, the most important thing to do is to make him comfortable with reading.

God bless your family.
Dianne Muth
Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:25 pm

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Learning Disabilities All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: